Understanding is a relationship between ourselves and people, events and the world around us. It is a culmination of the process we use the WaterPrayer glasses to experience. To understand something or someone, you first have to trust that you are able to experience them for what they are; you have to accept that person, event or situation for what it is; and you must bring that acceptance into an emotional connection through non-romantic love. Moving through this process, using these meditations to deepen your capacities for experiencing these states of being offers you the ability to experience Understanding–meaning that you enter into a new relationship with yourself and the world.
To use the Understanding WaterPrayer glass for meditation, follow these simple steps:
- Find a place where you can sit comfortably, relaxed and without interruption (turn off those cell phones!)
- Fill the Understanding glass with good, filtered, clean water, as free of contaminants as your situation permits. Place it on a table in front of you or hold it in your hands.
- Sit with your back supported and your feet flat on the ground.
- Hold the glass. Close your eyes. Hold the idea of Understanding in your heart.
- Do not try to think about anything. Let any thoughts that come into your consciousness simply flow; don’t challenge anything as being right or wrong.
- Let your breathing become slowed, regular, and deep, using your diaphragm (‘belly breathing’).
- Simply let things ‘be,’ and if you have thoughts or emotions that cause you to feel either sadness, joy, or anything in between, simply feel what is there. Do not try to think it through, dismiss, or embrace it.
- When you reach a point where you can feel the experience of Understanding, you can open your eyes and let go of the glass.
- Lastly, drink the water in the Understanding glass. Make a statement that is your own version of something like this: “I am capable of experiencing more Love for things and people around me, and I know that I have the strength to bring more Trust, Acceptance, Love and Understanding into my life.”
That’s it! You’re done. Or rather, you’ve just started!
Meditating on a regular basis is proven to have many health benefits. Now that you have meditated on all four WaterPrayer states (Trust, Acceptance, Love and Understanding) begin the process over again. You will have the opportunity to experience each condition and state of being in a new and powerful way!